The Virginia Fire Services Board is now accepting nominations for the 2017 Governor’s Fire Service Awards! The Governor’s Awards serve as a mechanism to formally recognize excellence in Virginia’s Fire Services. These awards are presented annually during the Virginia Fire and Rescue Conference at the Virginia Beach Convention Center each February.
Everyone is encouraged to submit nominations for the Governor’s Fire Service Awards program utilizing the attached nomination form. The person making the nomination should have knowledge of the nominee’s qualifications and should carefully select the category that most appropriately matches the nominee’s qualifications. Nominations will be accepted through December 15, 2017. Should you have additional questions please contact Erin Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-385-9887.
CATEGORIES AND CRITERIA FOR AWARDS
Excellence in Virginia Fire Services
- An individual or organization that exemplifies an outstanding dedication to helping protect the citizens of Virginia against the devastating effects of fire, not only in their own jurisdictions, but in other areas of the Commonwealth. Individual/organization that demonstrate exceptional dedication to sound management principles and excellence in fire service leadership in their department and within Virginia.
Excellence in Virginia Community Risk Reduction
- An individual or organization that exemplifies outstanding dedication and service for the furtherance of Virginia Public Fire & Life Safety Education not only in their own department, but in other areas of the Commonwealth as well. An individual or organization that exhibits exceptional commitment to the field of fire prevention; to include the adoption, amendment or interpretation of the Statewide Fire Prevention Code, Statewide Building Code, other related codes or fire prevention principles that would impact not only their own jurisdiction but other localities as well.
Excellence in Virginia Fire Service Training
- Any individual or organization providing lesson plans, support or delivery of programs within the Commonwealth which are fire service related.
Outstanding Fire Department Response
- Any outstanding Fire Department Response made in the last year, that demonstrates mutual aid, integration of multiple system components, interagency interfacing and cooperation, or complex assessment or rescue. The nomination must include a copy of the VFIRS report.
Private Sector Excellence in Virginia Fire Service Support
- Any private sector or nonprofit entity that has demonstrated exceptional dedication to the success of Virginia Fire Services throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Civilian Excellence in Virginia Fire Service Support
- Any civilian or organization, with no fire service affiliation or are administrative professionals, fire corps volunteers and other policy makers who exemplify an outstanding dedication to helping protect the citizens of Virginia against the devastating effects of fire.
Virginia Firefighter of the Year
- Any paid or volunteer firefighter that exhibits outstanding work within his/her own department to enhance fire safety for the citizens they serve.
Virginia Fire Chief of the Year
· Any paid or volunteer fire chief that exhibits leadership, innovation, professional development, integrity, along with superior service to the public and a high level of contributions to the fire service as a whole.